Study Room Policy
Montgomery County Memorial Library System (MCMLS) offers Study Rooms to individuals and small groups so they may meet or study in a space with limited distractions. Study Rooms are not available for purely social purposes or for the benefit of self-promotion of individuals or commercial concerns, including for-profit tutors.
- Any Library patron aged 13 and older who possesses a MCMLS library card in good standing may reserve a Study Room. A library card is considered to be in good standing when it has less than $25 in fines and is eligible to check out an item. Library patrons that do not possess a MCMLS library card are not permitted the use of Study Rooms, with the exception of a government representative.
- The Library cardholder using a Study Room shall remain present in the room at all times during use of the room, and any minors 12 years of age and younger using a Study Room must be accompanied by an adult guardian at all times. The guardian must have a valid library account in good standing.
- Study Rooms may be reserved for a maximum of two hours a day per library cardholder. Additional time may be granted if the room is available, but the Study Room may not be reserved for a specific amount of time beyond two hours.
- Study Rooms may be reserved in advance through the end of the next Library operating day. Same-day reservations and walk-ins are welcome, provided all other qualifications are met. Library staff and partners may reserve Study Rooms 30 days in advance.
- All functions in Library Study Rooms shall be free and open to the general public, and Library staff shall have unrestricted access to Study Rooms at all times.
- The Library cannot ensure privacy in the Study Rooms. Use of the Study Rooms for activities which require privacy is discouraged, including interviews, depositions and other legal activities. Please be aware that rooms are not soundproof and noise will carry.
- Due to the public nature of Study Rooms, Study Room reservation information may be made available to the public.
- The Study Room facilities may not be used for any commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, the sale of goods or services, executing fee-for-service agreements or contracts to perform services elsewhere, accepting membership dues, selling raffle tickets, and collecting fees for tutoring. Fundraising activities conducted by the Friends of the Library group is allowed.
- Any activities listed or presented as informational, educational, or instructional must remain so, and Study Room users shall make no direct solicitation of attendees to secure clients or customers for commercial purposes.
- Study Room doors shall remain unlocked during use. Personal belongings should not be left unattended. The Library is not responsible for items lost, damaged, or stolen.
- The posted occupancy limits for each Study Room may not be exceeded per the County Fire Marshall’s authority.
- Study Rooms must be vacated at least 15 minutes before Library closing.
- The MCMLS cardholder reserving the Study Room accepts financial responsibility for any and all damage to Montgomery County property resulting from cardholder’s use of the Study Room, normal wear and tear excepted. Excessive damage or destruction to the Study Room will result in permanent loss of Study Room privileges.
- Individuals using Library Study Rooms must also adhere to the Library’s Patron Code of Conduct.
(Effective date January 1 2012)