Fines and Fees
- Fines for overdue materials
- Library card replacement fee
- Materials replacement fee
- Meeting room fee
- Printing material from in-house computers and/or microfilm readers/printers
Partial payments will be accepted for fines and damaged items. Any financial obligation of $25 or more posted on a patron’s account will cause the account to be blocked in the circulation system.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
Cash, personal and business checks, and money orders can be accepted as payment for all library fines and fees.
- Checks can only be accepted for a payment of $2.00 or more.
- Temporary checks are not accepted.
- Out-of-state checks are not accepted.
- Traveler’s checks are not accepted.
Fines for Cataloged Items
Upon return of overdue materials, fines may be levied by the Library Director or designated library employee at each branch based on the following guidelines:
- Fines for all materials are $.10 per day per item.
- Fines are not charged for days the library branch is closed.
- The maximum fine is $5 per item per check out.
- Fines may be collected at any Montgomery County Library location for any overdue Montgomery County Library material.
- Fines may be collected at any Montgomery County Library location for Lone Star College, CyFair, FB, or Tomball accounts.
- Patrons with questions on overdue procedures of other library systems should be referred to the library in question.
Library Card Replacement Fee
- Library cards are $2.00 to replace.
- There is no charge if:
- the barcode is no longer readable or lost
- the patron has a name change and a current library card
- a patron had a minor card in the system and is now applying for an adult card
Materials Processing Fee
The processing fee for a lost or damaged item is $5.00. This fee is non-refundable.
Substituting a Replacement or Copy
- Patrons have the option of donating a replacement copy of a lost or damaged item that is in good condition.
- Staff will provide the patron with the replacement information which will include: the title, author, ISBN, and price of the item.
- Staff are encouraged to accept replacement items that are in good condition and are a suitable substitute. (For example, a 2022 Fodor’s may replace a 2018 edition.)
- Books withdrawn from other libraries are not suitable replacements.
- The patron is responsible for the $5.00 processing fee if applicable.
- Patrons do not have to pay overdue fines for lost items that have been replaced.
- The HCPL policy is to preferably accept a replacement item in lieu of payment. HCPL will only accept brand new items with no marks or sign of previous use.
Lost Item Fee
- Patrons are charged a lost item fee at the amount set in the circulation system.
- Patrons are charged a $5.00 processing fee, except for lease or HCPL items.
- Refunds for lost items (that are paid for) are limited to 90 days from the date of the official receipt, excluding AV materials.
- Refunds for AV materials are limited to 14 days from the date of the official receipt.
- A refund of the entire amount, including the processing fee, will be given to the patron if the item is located on the shelf.
Fine and Fee Summary
|Replacement Library Card||$2|
|Unusable barcode on card||no charge|
|Minor barcode/pocket damage on item||$2.50|
|Hanging ILL bag||$5|
|ILL checkout card||$5|
|Missing CD from lease item||$15 (no processing fee)|
|Replacement books, CDs, MP3s
||Cost varies - contact your library.|
*This list is subject to change if/when the vendor makes a change to cost.
(Effective date May 17, 2021)