Montgomery County Library began as a collection of 1200 volumes housed in a Conroe School Recreation Center and operated by a women’s group known as the HUB Club. In 1947, the group appealed to the County to make the library a tax-supported function of County government. In 1948 the Library was taken over by the County and a budget of $25,000 provided. Katherine Ard was hired as its first librarian and a bookmobile was put into operation to serve outlying areas of the county. In 1950, the Library was moved to a vacant automobile showroom on North Frazier. In 1955 a bond election was held for a new Library facility. $300,000 was approved, and a new Library, located at 400 N. San Jacinto, was completed in 1957. It was 10,000 square feet. A second bookmobile was added in 1967. Also in 1976, the carport, breezeway, and terrace of the Central Library were enclosed to add 3,000 square feet. In 1980 another 2,000 square feet was enclosed at the Central Library, bringing the total square footage to 15,000. On June 21, 1980 a fire in the Central Library damaged the interior and destroyed many books. The Library closed until April, 1981. Bookmobile service was discontinued in 1983.
In January, 1991, County Judge Alan Sadler appointed a citizens library task force to examine the needs for library service in Montgomery County.
In August, 1991, the Library Task Force gave its report to Commissioners’ Court, recommending a bond election for $9.25 million to build a 50,000 sq. ft. Central Library in Conroe, a 30,000 sq. ft. regional branch in The Woodlands, $100,000 toward a new Magnolia Branch, $500,000 for new books for the system, and $750,000 for automation & computerization of the system A bond election for the Library system was held November 5, 1991, and $9.25 million was approved by a 63% vote.
On July 25, 1994, the new Central Library opened to the public. On September 17, 1994, the new Central Library celebrated its official grand opening.
Located near a major thoroughfare, the Central Library provides children’s programs, computer classes, free Internet access and information services to the community. During FY 2013 the Central Library circulated 291,203 items. The branch also has a security guard on staff.
The Central Library also houses the system Administration offices, including the office of the Library Director, Acquisitions, Technical Services and Programming.
Computer classes are offered throughout the month - free of charge. Check Class Calendar for dates and more information.
Historical Fiction Book Club
Join us for tea, snacks, and discussion! We will be reading a different work of Historical Fiction each month. Registration is required.
Location: Small Meeting Room
Meeting: 6pm-8pm on first Thursday of each month, unless otherwise noted.
To register each month, please call 936-442-7712 ext. 6252 or email us.